+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Installing HumminBird 798ci on Slayer console

Installing HumminBird 798ci on Slayer console

Just picked up a Humminbird 798ci for my Slayer.

It appears sliding onto groove tracks isn't possible without removing the screws holding the groove track down. How is everyone installing groove track mounts onto it? Once I have the 798ci on the groove tracks how can I access the groove track screws???

Does anyone have any pics of their fish finder installed on the new Slayer center console? I'd be curious to see how it looks.

Thanks guys!

You can buy this... http://www.thekayakfishingstore.com/...nter-trac.html
    or cut your existing groove track at a 45 degree angle on one end.

Blog Entries
    I think the initial thought was to make it where it was difficult to remove the fish finder if you mounted it directly to the groove. Most will mount a ball to the bracket just by removing the bolts, sliding the ball and hardware into place, and then putting the bolts back into place. Not a big issue since you will probably leave the ball there once you install it and simply remove the fish finder when you want.
    Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

Got it.

I tried removing the screws yesterday and they didn't seem to want to come out. The holes they are screwed in to don't appear to be threaded. I guess I'll have to take some needled nose and provide some pressure by pulling the grove track. Somewhat disappointed with the design of the console. It feels as if the console wasn't field tested.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm...I'll go look on mine...but I thought there were supposed to be some brass nuts molded into the hull at those 4 points...I'll go check.
    To remove the screws, remove the whole cover. The screws for the cover are threaded. The groove is bolted in place using stainless hardware. This was done to make the cover more secure. Most people will place their fish finder battery and/or transducer in this area...and once it is in there, it isn't removed. So having a secure hatch that screws on works. Just take care not to over-tighten the screws for the hatch when you put it back on...you don't want to strip out the threads.
    Last edited by boykinsbuddy; 05-25-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Ryan, how did you make out?

I haven't tried again (yet) to remove the screws on the center console groovetrack.

I'm going to order a RAM mount for the 798ci. I'm going to try installing the unit on the right side groovetrack. I wanted to try having the 798ci unit near me so I could toggle the screens, zoom in, etc. I'll probably have to swap out the base ball joint this part ships with and use a YakAttack ball for the groovetrack.

If having the unit installed on the right side groovetrack causes issues with paddling, boating fish, etc. then I will move the RAM mount and the 798ci to the center console using the RAM mount and YakAttack ball. From a wiring and organizational standpoint it probably makes more sense to have the 798ci unit installed on the center console. I'm just worried I won't be able to see the 798ci unit that well when it's installed in the center console. I've already been told a hundred times that side scanning with the 798ci screen can be painful due to the lack of screen real estate. Plus how would you toggle the screens (nav map, down scanning, side scanning, etc.) while the unit is installed in the center console?

Hey Ryan, just a suggestion. Mount the unit directly to the plastic top of the center console. That's what I did with my Lowrance. The replacement covers are inexpensive, if I decide to remove it, and its out of the way. I'm not familiar with the 798ci, but my Lowrance is quick disconnect from the unit to the base, so I take if off when not in use and the base stays connected to the console cover. Hope that helps some!
    2008 Native Ultimate 12: Bow Bag, Stern Bag, Behind Seat Cooler, Full Skirt System (stern, bow, center, cockpit), Captain's Perch, Lumbar Pad, Anchor Trolley System, Scotty Rod Holders (3), Folding Dash, Large Foot Braces, Scotty Sea Light, Smartcart.
    2013 Native Slayer 14.5: Lowrance Elite 4x DSI, Ram transducer mount, Groove Track rod holder, rod holders (3), Medium Fish Bag, Scotty Sea Light, Anchor Trolley System, Native 3# Round Anchor, Werner Kalliste Paddles....and more to come!

Blog Entries
    I think you guys that have mounted one to the center console need to take a photo and put it up on this thread for demonstration purposes.

Here's how i did mine...

image.jpg

image.jpg

I just drilled into the cover which as mentioned before is replaceable anyway (used all stainless hardware of course). Instead of running both wires into the hull, I ran the transducer cable into the hull and used a hummingbird thru-hull kayak transducer kit http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...t-MHX-XMK.html

...then I ran my power cable to my covered hatch so I could easily access the battery for charging. I have the battery contained in a Pelican waterproof battery box with a deck mount so I can plug the power cable right in. It works perfectly for me!....oh and here's the battery box setup I use. http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...e-Power/Detail
    Last edited by Slayer22; 05-27-2013 at 12:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread