+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attwood Rod Holder Adaptor for Mariner Plug and Play

Cool Attwood Rod Holder Adaptor for Mariner Plug and Play

I already had a bunch of Attwood rod holders for my power boat, so I built some adapter plates out of polycarbonate (Lexan) and mounting wedges out of junk pine.
    It would be great if Native made plastic wedges (like the wooden ones in my project) to allow easy plug & play projects.
    Has anyone seem something like that on the web?
    Ideally, made of white plastic with 1/4-20 brass inserts on the sides & top for easy mounting of whatever.
    I know they make tie-points and a big oval mounting plate, but that's not so good for rod-mounts & other stuff you wanna' move around.
    Next on my wish-list: a bimini top & misting system before July gets here!
    Attached Files

Picked up my new Mariner couple of days ago. I find it quite amazing that you buy a kayak from a company that's supposed to be "all about fishing" (quote from youtube) and have to search the internet for ways to attach something as basic as rod holders.

There was a guy at our Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing club rigging day that had bent some 1" wide 1/8" thick aluminum (home depot) wedges to fit the plug n play. he had mounted rod holders one them. I cant find the picture but I will email him and get a pic.

Blog Entries
    Native does make plug n' play clips but they're intended to be used as lash points, not strong enough for rod mounting.

For rod mounts Native has a mount plate for the left side, beside drive unit. http://www.nativewatercraft.com/accessory.cfm?id=50. You can also remove the screw on the right side and screw in a 1/4-20 Ram Mount ball 1.5" for one of their rod holders in a forward mount position. Now on the stern, that would be a nice place to have a factory mount option. I've suggested an option but it may not ever make it to production. Crates with tube holders seem to be a little more economical.
    www.kayakfishingnc.com
    Get:Outdoors - Staff • Native Watercraft Endorsed Guide

Quote Originally Posted by yak4fish View Post
    Native does make plug n' play clips but they're intended to be used as lash points, not strong enough for rod mounting.

For rod mounts Native has a mount plate for the left side, beside drive unit. http://www.nativewatercraft.com/accessory.cfm?id=50. You can also remove the screw on the right side and screw in a 1/4-20 Ram Mount ball 1.5" for one of their rod holders in a forward mount position. Now on the stern, that would be a nice place to have a factory mount option. I've suggested an option but it may not ever make it to production. Crates with tube holders seem to be a little more economical.
    Thanks for that info. I've built a bracket for that spot so I can use Scotty rod holder and extension I already had. I could only find a Ram mount ball with that screw thread of one inch not inch and a half. So glad to hear you can get one and I think I'll use this in one of the rear spots on the left.
    Might it be an idea for Native to have those as accessories available with the yak. They currently only have their cross bars as an alternative for rod holders in front of you and they are clearly too far forward in the plug n play to be practical.

When you compare how well equipped their main competitor the pro angler is for fishing for only 15% more cost price I think Native need to give this a lot more attention. I bought the Mariner because it was a more practical size, but now Hobie have the PA 12 it's going to sit right in the Mariner's market position.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    Thanks for that info. I've built a bracket for that spot so I can use Scotty rod holder and extension I already had. I could only find a Ram mount ball with that screw thread of one inch not inch and a half. So glad to hear you can get one and I think I'll use this in one of the rear spots on the left.
    Might it be an idea for Native to have those as accessories available with the yak. They currently only have their cross bars as an alternative for rod holders in front of you and they are clearly too far forward in the plug n play to be practical.

When you compare how well equipped their main competitor the pro angler is for fishing for only 15% more cost price I think Native need to give this a lot more attention. I bought the Mariner because it was a more practical size, but now Hobie have the PA 12 it's going to sit right in the Mariner's market position.
    You're welcome bomber. The 1.5" I was referring to was towards the ball diameter not thread length, which is the size used for rod holders. Minus the Ram mount ball the plate is available as an add on.

Much agreed, Hobie is the main and really only competitor to the Mariner.. or vice versa. They've got a great product and have stepped up the features with the new 12'. WIth the kind of real estate the Hobie has they obviously have more room to design in features and have done a nice job. The PA 12 still only comes with two built in rod holders but a lot of places where you could mount rod holders. The seat is the most impressive feature but the boat still weighs in at 120 lbs, 30 more than a Mariner and has an estimated MSRP of $2,500 or $600 more than a Mariner, roughly 32% more.

The reverse feature of the Propel system has really been huge. Having used it I can't imagine having it taken away and enjoying a pedal system as much. There are certainly some areas Native could improve the function/feature set of the Mariner and I can say there are some features that are being looked at... they know as well as we do that the competition isn't going to rest and neither can they.
    www.kayakfishingnc.com
    Get:Outdoors - Staff • Native Watercraft Endorsed Guide

Blog Entries
    Go onto Ebay and order some thick Starboard plastic to make your pieces out of. A single piece goes a long way. You may also want to send your design to YakAttack...that guy is into manufacturing kayak parts in a big way.
    Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Looks like we'll be making homemade holders for a while. Hope somebody from Native reads the Mariner posts, maybe they'll come up with something.
    I would be a little concerned about point-loading the kayak 1/4-20 brass inserts with something that's gonna' get torqued like a rod holder by all those monster bass I catch, (ok now I'm just lying). Anyhow, Native has a good idea with the plug and play because those wedges are big enough to spread out the force applied to 'em.

+ Reply to Thread