Native Owner's Group Discount
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for DIY cart ideas

Looking for DIY cart ideas

I've got an Ultimate 14.5 and am having trouble with my cart. Bought a Mighty something or another which looked like it would handle the weight. It always folded up no matter how I attached it. I took some PVC. And tried to stiffen it up but still not real happy. It seem to like to turn sideways too. Any DIY project suggestions? I think I can use the wheels for anything I work up. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Here mines - I think it's been modified by several users, so there may be variations on the theme.
    http://www.nativeownersgroup.com/sho...-ultimate-cart...
    - Jeremy
    Native watercraft prostaff

Olive U14.5 - dash, p-max 180, PVC seat riser, neoprene floor
    Mango Versa Board angler - p-max 180, stick it anchor pin (8ft), custom rod rests
    Ice Liquid logic Versa Board (wifes toy) - track mounted scotty mount
    Lime Mariner 12.5 - the new battlewagon
    Firebrick Mariner 12.5 - the battlewagons twin
    Mango mariner 10 - the wife's battle wagon
    Mango/yellow marble Liquid logic remix xp10 - shockingly stock...For now

I'm in the same boat, so-to-speak. I went to Appomattox River Co in Hampton, VA and tried out the C-Tug as well as FeelFree's Camel Trolley. Both are excellent ideas, and lite, but neither fit the Ultimates exceedingly well.

I'm futzing with a few design plans right now, but would love to buy this cart here:

http://www.paddlelogic.com/trailtreker-kayak-cart.html

The idea is great, the video is impressive, the cost ... ugh. Like all yak carts.

My ideal is to have a cart that can easily break down and store in the front of my U12.

I'm limited in engineering ability, and cash. But what I don't want is to spend as much on my DIY projects as I would on one like the TrailTreker.
    Darren

2011 Ultimate 12

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mine cost about very little to build. It fits just behind the seat on my ultimate...
    - Jeremy
    Native watercraft prostaff

Olive U14.5 - dash, p-max 180, PVC seat riser, neoprene floor
    Mango Versa Board angler - p-max 180, stick it anchor pin (8ft), custom rod rests
    Ice Liquid logic Versa Board (wifes toy) - track mounted scotty mount
    Lime Mariner 12.5 - the new battlewagon
    Firebrick Mariner 12.5 - the battlewagons twin
    Mango mariner 10 - the wife's battle wagon
    Mango/yellow marble Liquid logic remix xp10 - shockingly stock...For now

Here is my copy of a paddleboy cart, made from hockey sticks.

http://www.nativeownersgroup.com/sho...=hockey+sticks
    Fish with the Force
    Tegris 12

Blog Entries
    Great ideas for the Ultimates.I went all out for the Native cart that fits up into the propel drive opening.Works great but takes some time to assemble.Plus once you inflate the tires they won't fit back into the case.What's up with that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Great ideas for the Ultimates.I went all out for the Native cart that fits up into the propel drive opening.Works great but takes some time to assemble.Plus once you inflate the tires they won't fit back into the case.What's up with that?
    Have you checked the inflation lbs? I've got mine fully inflated and they still fit within the housing. If you don't mind checking and letting us know. Thanks.
    www.kayakfishingnc.com
    Get:Outdoors - Staff • Native Watercraft Endorsed Guide

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenM View Post
    I'm in the same boat, so-to-speak. I went to Appomattox River Co in Hampton, VA and tried out the C-Tug as well as FeelFree's Camel Trolley. Both are excellent ideas, and lite, but neither fit the Ultimates exceedingly well.

I'm futzing with a few design plans right now, but would love to buy this cart here:

http://www.paddlelogic.com/trailtreker-kayak-cart.html

The idea is great, the video is impressive, the cost ... ugh. Like all yak carts.

My ideal is to have a cart that can easily break down and store in the front of my U12.

I'm limited in engineering ability, and cash. But what I don't want is to spend as much on my DIY projects as I would on one like the TrailTreker.
    Man this would be so easy to build. An axle and one pc. of 1/2 in. conduit with a pc. of pipe insulation. Although you want be able to fold it up. Time to build me one mine is to bulky.
    Last edited by Echerd; 04-28-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Echerd View Post
    Man this would be so easy to build. An axle and one pc. of 1/2 in. conduit with a pc. of pipe insulation. Although you want be able to fold it up. Time to build me one mine is to bulky.
    You're right!! I have been drawing up plans for the exact idea, but I'm using 3/4" conduit, my axle is also 3/4", so the cut thru the conduit is going to be iffy. If it fails, I'll go up to 1" conduit. In case the conduit isn't strong enough, I've got some wooden dowels for added strength. Since I need to raise the height from the axle, I'm pondering a simple 3/4" PVC + dowel bolted thru each arm. However, I'll first try a strong strap to cradle the bottom of the boat, that'll reduce weight and wrap the conduit in toward the gunnels.

Only issue I have - with my tires - is that they'll keep the U12 too low to the ground. Since I'm trying to keep costs down, I don't want to hit Northern Tools to buy 12" tires. Sooo I'm modding the plan a little bit. Will post idea as soon as I know it'll work. Perhaps it'll given an idea to the OP, UltimateBobWPB.

nj05nismo: I'm not disparaging your build. It is solid and a great idea. I'd have to figure out how to also make it into a milk-crate when it's flipped over and placed behind the seat. For me, I'm also dealing with the desire to transport a rear-attached trolling motor and battery. Yours definitely would take the weight. In the mean time, I want to pursue the build above as I think it'll have much less weight and break down in less than 40 seconds... As to whether it'll be able to carry ALL my gear and not fall apart is another question.
    Darren

2011 Ultimate 12

Ok guys, got a preliminary build that works! I'll start a new thread so as not to hijack this one any further. Apologies to the OP!

UltimateBobWPB: I created a new post with details of my "beta" build.
    Last edited by DarrenM; 04-29-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Darren

2011 Ultimate 12

+ Reply to Thread