X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for DIY cart ideas

I've got an Ultimate 14.5 and am having trouble with my cart. Bought a Mighty something or another which looked like it would handle the weight. It always folded up no matter how I attached it. I took some PVC. And tried to stiffen it up but still not real happy. It seem to like to turn sideways too. Any DIY project suggestions? I think I can use the wheels for anything I work up. Thanks
    Bob
    Mariner12.5

Here mines - I think it's been modified by several users, so there may be variations on the theme.
    http://www.nativeownersgroup.com/sho...-ultimate-cart...
    - Jeremy
    Native watercraft prostaff

Olive U14.5 - dash, p-max 180, PVC seat riser, neoprene floor
    Mango Versa Board angler - p-max 180, stick it anchor pin (8ft), custom rod rests
    Ice Liquid logic Versa Board (wifes toy) - track mounted scotty mount
    Lime Mariner 12.5 - the new battlewagon - now with slayer seat with custom mount.
    Firebrick Mariner 12.5 - the battlewagons twin
    Mango mariner 10 - the wife's battle wagon
    Mango/yellow marble Liquid logic remix xp-10

Comment

I'm in the same boat, so-to-speak. I went to Appomattox River Co in Hampton, VA and tried out the C-Tug as well as FeelFree's Camel Trolley. Both are excellent ideas, and lite, but neither fit the Ultimates exceedingly well.

I'm futzing with a few design plans right now, but would love to buy this cart here:

http://www.paddlelogic.com/trailtreker-kayak-cart.html

The idea is great, the video is impressive, the cost ... ugh. Like all yak carts.

My ideal is to have a cart that can easily break down and store in the front of my U12.

I'm limited in engineering ability, and cash. But what I don't want is to spend as much on my DIY projects as I would on one like the TrailTreker.
      Darren

2011 Ultimate 12

Comment

Mine cost about very little to build. It fits just behind the seat on my ultimate...
        - Jeremy
        Native watercraft prostaff

Olive U14.5 - dash, p-max 180, PVC seat riser, neoprene floor
        Mango Versa Board angler - p-max 180, stick it anchor pin (8ft), custom rod rests
        Ice Liquid logic Versa Board (wifes toy) - track mounted scotty mount
        Lime Mariner 12.5 - the new battlewagon - now with slayer seat with custom mount.
        Firebrick Mariner 12.5 - the battlewagons twin
        Mango mariner 10 - the wife's battle wagon
        Mango/yellow marble Liquid logic remix xp-10

Comment

Here is my copy of a paddleboy cart, made from hockey sticks.

http://www.nativeownersgroup.com/sho...=hockey+sticks
          Fish with the Force
          Tegris 12

Comment

Great ideas for the Ultimates.I went all out for the Native cart that fits up into the propel drive opening.Works great but takes some time to assemble.Plus once you inflate the tires they won't fit back into the case.What's up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Great ideas for the Ultimates.I went all out for the Native cart that fits up into the propel drive opening.Works great but takes some time to assemble.Plus once you inflate the tires they won't fit back into the case.What's up with that?
              Have you checked the inflation lbs? I've got mine fully inflated and they still fit within the housing. If you don't mind checking and letting us know. Thanks.
              www.kayakfishingnc.com
              Get:Outdoors - Staff • Native Watercraft Endorsed Guide

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenM View Post
                I'm in the same boat, so-to-speak. I went to Appomattox River Co in Hampton, VA and tried out the C-Tug as well as FeelFree's Camel Trolley. Both are excellent ideas, and lite, but neither fit the Ultimates exceedingly well.

I'm futzing with a few design plans right now, but would love to buy this cart here:

http://www.paddlelogic.com/trailtreker-kayak-cart.html

The idea is great, the video is impressive, the cost ... ugh. Like all yak carts.

My ideal is to have a cart that can easily break down and store in the front of my U12.

I'm limited in engineering ability, and cash. But what I don't want is to spend as much on my DIY projects as I would on one like the TrailTreker.
                Man this would be so easy to build. An axle and one pc. of 1/2 in. conduit with a pc. of pipe insulation. Although you want be able to fold it up. Time to build me one mine is to bulky.
                Last edited by Echerd; 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Echerd View Post
                  Man this would be so easy to build. An axle and one pc. of 1/2 in. conduit with a pc. of pipe insulation. Although you want be able to fold it up. Time to build me one mine is to bulky.
                  You're right!! I have been drawing up plans for the exact idea, but I'm using 3/4" conduit, my axle is also 3/4", so the cut thru the conduit is going to be iffy. If it fails, I'll go up to 1" conduit. In case the conduit isn't strong enough, I've got some wooden dowels for added strength. Since I need to raise the height from the axle, I'm pondering a simple 3/4" PVC + dowel bolted thru each arm. However, I'll first try a strong strap to cradle the bottom of the boat, that'll reduce weight and wrap the conduit in toward the gunnels.

Only issue I have - with my tires - is that they'll keep the U12 too low to the ground. Since I'm trying to keep costs down, I don't want to hit Northern Tools to buy 12" tires. Sooo I'm modding the plan a little bit. Will post idea as soon as I know it'll work. Perhaps it'll given an idea to the OP, UltimateBobWPB.

nj05nismo: I'm not disparaging your build. It is solid and a great idea. I'd have to figure out how to also make it into a milk-crate when it's flipped over and placed behind the seat. For me, I'm also dealing with the desire to transport a rear-attached trolling motor and battery. Yours definitely would take the weight. In the mean time, I want to pursue the build above as I think it'll have much less weight and break down in less than 40 seconds... As to whether it'll be able to carry ALL my gear and not fall apart is another question.
                  Darren

2011 Ultimate 12

Comment

Ok guys, got a preliminary build that works! I'll start a new thread so as not to hijack this one any further. Apologies to the OP!

UltimateBobWPB: I created a new post with details of my "beta" build.
                    Last edited by DarrenM; 04-29-2012, 03:55 PM.
                    Darren

2011 Ultimate 12

Comment

I think this subject has a few other topics started. Use the search feature and you should pick off more ideas from other members/owners.
                      Native Watercraft endorsed guide, St Croix Rods Pro Staff, Daiwa Pro Staff, 12 Fathom lures Pro Staff, Smith Optics, Tuf-Line braided lines, Sixwave Jigheads and "TheEdje/Silly Willy"
                      Strike Three Kayak Fishing

Comment

Hey guys, decided to finally become a member after lurking all these years. I too was looking at the Trailtrekker and found someone else who made their own. Original post will be below, just wanted to make it easy to see and think about without leaving.
                        Anyway, here are some DIY Trailtrekker pics and plans I plucked from the stripers link.
                        I am sure we can plan how a best design for our specific models. Anyway, hello and look forward to teaming up with clever DIY'ers on here to come up with exact plans.

He made a trail trekker cart based on the same components in the video.
                        Here are parts:
                        24" stainless axle (I would goto 30"+ for the mariner 12.5 I own.
                        Same wheels from "northern tool".
                        1 inch cord Reinforced water hose from Home Depot. 10 ft sections in a bag . I think it's water hose for a washing machine.
                        Sprinkler stand pipe
                        thumb snap with 550 para cord

Also with SOT kayaks, there really isn't a central point to attach it to, so I added a strap from side handle to side handle and made my own center point.

Cost was about $55.

*Hose ends sleeved for the axle - sleeved with sprinkler pipe to hold a true 1/2 hole for the axle.
                        The plastic pipe over the axle is also sprinkler stand pipe with a inside dia of 1/2 inch with 1/4 inch holes drilled for drainage.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/8442...cart-crate-mod
                        Last edited by alexfl; 05-01-2012, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Alex,
                          I don't see your pictures (could just be me).
                          Native Watercraft endorsed guide, St Croix Rods Pro Staff, Daiwa Pro Staff, 12 Fathom lures Pro Staff, Smith Optics, Tuf-Line braided lines, Sixwave Jigheads and "TheEdje/Silly Willy"
                          Strike Three Kayak Fishing

Comment

That's a much prettier design than the one I just did. That's almost exactly what I was after with mine, though. Wish I had seen his post before I went all out with mine! LOL. C'est la vie.

Thing that he does differently is the 1/2" axle. Would be a lot easier to have a 1/2" axle as more tires are available in that inner diameter bore.

For me it was that I already had tires with 3/4" IDBore. But after testing it out fully loaded today with over 100 pounds of gear, I think it works very well. A little leery of 1/2" strength, especially with the 27 - 30" width he talks about. But I had the same idea with the boat transom roller. Just try to find one in 3/4"...
                            Darren

2011 Ultimate 12

Comment

I have the Native carts as well. One for my 14.5 and another for the wife's 12. They actually work VERY well. Yes they do take a little time to assemble but only a few minutes. And once we located the best spot for it for balance and pulling comfort, its a great way to get it around. We just did a 3 night camp out that had 3 days of paddling. Each day we pulled the yaks the 1/2 mile from the campsite to the river, broke them down and put them away, only to reverse it when we returned. I also find the tire issue a real pain. I let enough of the air out to get the lid in, and they still seem to roll alright. Anyone have any thoughts on lubricating the wheels?

Comment

Working...
                              X